Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, December 1, 2008

Thawing my turkey in a bathtub

So, let's start at the beginning of this 4 day Holiday Weekend.

Wednesday night Bryan and I head out to Wal-Mart to pick up a turkey, we figured they would have the largest selection. We get there at about 4:30 in the afternoon and they have practically NOTHING, only a handful of 5 lb turkeys left over. So at this poin i'm freaking out thinking that we will have to cook approx. 4 of these midget turkeys just to feed us. So we decided to chance it, left and ran across the street to Harmons. THANK GOODNESS for Harmons and their massive selection. We grabbed a 20 lb Turkey and ran home.

This is when I have to start the thawing process. You are supposed to thaw the turkey 2-3 days in advance. Well this is t minus 18 hours till dinner, so that was not going to happen. So the plan is to fill the sink with cold water and place the turkey in there, fully submerged. Well....have you ever tried to put a 20 lb turkey into a sink? Doesn't fit. So we decide to do the redneck thing. We placed the turkey in a garbage bag (to prevent leakage) and we place it in our bathtub surrounded by cold water.
Our cats were loving this. They were batting at it and trying to eat it.






Here is a picture of Riddle sniffing the bag. I know this is incredibly hillbilly, but we needed the turkey to be thawed.







So luckily the turkey thawed in plenty of time and didn't taste like shampoo at all. However, the next morning we found all 3 cats sniffing and licking the tub in hopes of some turkey remains. We ended up bleaching the whole tub on Sat just to be safe : )

So...the turkey turned our great, by the way. While we were waiting for the turkey to cook up in Coalville the boys and myself decided to go do a little bit of shooting. So below are a couple pics. I would also like to mention that my husband was the best shot there, even better than the cop : )

Being all manly

Talking about how good of shots they all are (we actually all sucked, Bryan and Allen are the only 2 who hit the can, I was lucky I didn't shoot anyone)

Tender (thats the best I can do at being politically correct with this picture)


So to sum up thanksgiving-thawing my turkey in the bathtub, shooting guns in Coalville. Hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving. Next post, waking up at 2 AM only to sit in the rain and find out Target doesn't carry Wii Fits.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I was the best shot, I grew up on a farm! That's what we did for fun.