Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

...and i'm a mormon

So, out here in Minnesota they have been running the new mormon.org ads nonstop. They have also announced at the pulpit that they are encouraging people to create their own profiles. This has lead me to think what I would write about and most importantly what my tagline would be. You see most people talk about their hobbies, jobs, education, or world championships they have won, whatever. Well, my hobbies have been put on hold while I move and watch my son; my job is a stay at home mom/wife, I am no longer in school and besides the championships I have won in my dreams, i've got nothing. I am simply a mom and wife. And then I realized, i'm not just a mom and wife, i'm a MOM and a WIFE, the best job in the entire world.
I am lucky that my days consist of talking to a 7 month old in silly voices, grateful that I can make breakfast and pack a lunch for my husband. My fancy work clothes are replaced by pajama pants, ponytails and tennis shoes, my business lunches are replaced by peanut butter jelly sandwiches and a baby spitting up mac and cheese. I stay at home and raise my son so we don't have to pay for child care, and I spend my days trying to find ways to save money so that I can stay home and raise the son that I chose to have; this means that we don't get to go on fancy trips to Hawaii and have put off buying a house so we can have a savings account. I no longer receve a paycheck, but I get to be home and catch every first of my son, make him giggle, cuddle him when he is sick or hurt. I stay home and support my husband who works long hours and then goes to school so someday we can have a better life, I am there for every frustrated phone call, and to give a hug and kiss as soon as he walks in the door. I have put off my own personal desires and and dreams for those of my sonand family and I could not be happier.
So I am proud to say that I am a mother, a wife; i'm a penny pincher. My name is Molly Watson and i'm a Mormon.

3 comments:

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

I agree...mom and wife are two of the best jobs in the world! We are lucky as women to be able to fufill those roles.
It would be nice to stay home with Olivia everyday, but financially, we have decided it would be best for me to work. I work for two main reasons:
1-Insurance
2-Spencer's tuition
Spencer and I feel it is very important to be self-sufficient, and if going back to work allows us to be as such, that is what I will do.
Also, I enjoy my job. I don't feel like the time I spend at work makes me less of a mother or a wife. I can still support my husband and be a loving mother even though I punch the clock.
I am glad you are happy with your decision to be a SAHM, but I do believe you can still be a fulfilled wife and mother while working.
I don't know if this blog was in response to my blog from last week, but if you want to talk about it, I would love to debate with you.

Watson World said...

Jessica, I had not read your blog post until you asked, so no it is not in response although I do have some thoughts on that post as well : ) This is not a judgement on any one else's decision, it is simply a statement on my position and my choices. It is about the fact that I really do not have a life outside my family, that because of that choice we are struggeling financially and yet I am proud of that. I am proud to be a mother and a wife and that those two generic terms are what define me. That is what is meant by this post.